Skin rejuvenation treatments with microneedle lifting is actually one of the procedures that dermatologists have used to increase collagen production since the 1950s.
However, with continuous improvements in the quality and functionality of needles used over the years, the product used under the DERMAPEN brand has almost revolutionized microneedle lifting.
The most important difference between Dermapen and other microneedle lifting methods is that the depth of the needle can be adjusted for different skin types which allows for a personalized skin rejuvenation procedure.
What is Dermapen?
Dermapen is a microneedle lifting procedure or collagen induction therapy.
It is a skin rejuvenation method that is used in many areas, from cracks to pore tightening, acne and freckle treatment to hair loss by increasing collagen production.
It is applied on the top layer of the skin and therefore does not harm the skin or exfoliate it.
Thus, it tightens the skin, improves its quality, and reduces the appearance of wrinkles on the skin.
Essentially, Dermapen is the name of a special device. It is the first and still the most advanced brand to introduce pen-shaped micro-piercing. While there are other brands that serve the same function, this procedure is now called dermapen. However, it should be emphasized that most devices on the market are not under the Dermapen brand. The Dermapen trademark is only used in clinically supervised centers. Performing a dermapen treatment using an original Dermapen device does not give the same results as its imitation.
The differences between the original Dermapen device and others are as follows:
- FDA approved.
- The ends have a patented design that fully adapts to the skin.
- Has a warning system that prevents skin from being punctured in the wrong direction during application. In this way, rupture of the skin is prevented.
What are the application areas and benefits of Dermapen?
The goal of dermapen therapy is to increase the production of collagen which provides elasticity to the skin by acting as glue in the body.
Dermapen therapy creates controlled damage to the skin.
This controlled damage helps to improve the overall quality of the skin by stimulating the cells (fibroblasts) responsible for collagen production in our body.
In fact, the skin tries to heal itself of the damage caused by the application of dermapen, and this successfully provides a fresher and healthier appearance to the skin.
- Effect of surface peeling
- Treatment of acne, acne scars
- Treatment of skin rashes
- Scar treatment
- Treatment of stretch marks
- Narrowing of pores
- Treatment of neck wrinkles
- Treatment of chickenpox scars.
- Treatment of hair loss (mesotherapy and PRP are more preferable today for hair loss treatment).
- Treating bruises around the eyes.
How is dermapen used?
- First of all, the skin is cleaned and disinfected.
- Then, half an hour before the procedure, a local anesthetic cream is applied to the treated area to minimize pain during the procedure.
- The appropriate depth of the microneedles is determined depending on the application and target. Hundreds of microchannels are opened at the top of the skin using appropriate microneedles from 0.5 to 2.5 mm. The skin perceives each microscopic channel as a wound and begins to repair itself. For this, the synthesis of collagen and elastin increases, and blood circulation is accelerated.
- Substances such as hyaluronic acid, enzymes or vitamins can be injected under the skin to enhance the regenerating effect of the skin during or after this procedure. Moreover, PRP and dermapen give very positive results together.
You can watch a video about the application of dermapen made in our clinic.
How long does the dermapen procedure take? How long does the dermapen effect last? How often should this be done?
- One dermapen treatment session takes approximately 30-60 minutes. Sessions should be done every 4-6 weeks.
- The interval of sessions varies depending on the depth of application.
- The number of sessions and the effect depend on the purpose of the procedure. One session is not enough.
- 3 sessions are usually sufficient with dermapen to increase collagen production, but the number of sessions can be increased to 6 for scar treatment.
- The effect begins to appear several weeks after the procedure, but the final one is visible several weeks after the procedure.
- Once the problem has been resolved with dermapen, a repeat for 6 months or once a year will prolong the effectiveness of the procedure.
What other areas can dermapen be applied for?
Although dermapen is mainly used for the face area, it is suitable for other parts of the body.
For example neck, décolleté and arms. Dermapen is also extremely effective in treating stretch marks on the arms, legs and abdomen.
What is the suitable season to apply dermapen?
In theory, this can be done at any time of the year or month. It is important to protect yourself from the sun here.
Although the application of dermapen is more suitable for months when the sun is not as aggressive, it can be done at any time of the year if you use sunscreen, hats and avoid direct sunlight.
What is the difference between Dermapen and Dermaroller?
The purpose of Dermapen and Dermaroller is the same. This goal is to stimulate collagen production using microneedles to allow the skin to repair itself and thus renew itself.
However, there are some differences between them.
First of all, dermapen is a more innovative device that gives much more positive results than the dermaroller.
1-Dermapen treatment can be customized according to personal preference.
Dermaroller needles can only be lowered to a certain depth of the skin, the depth to which the needles reach is fixed and cannot be changed.
In the case of dermapen, the depth of penetration of the microneedles under the skin can be instantly adjusted according to the characteristics of the skin and the needs of the person. The piercing at different depths can be adjusted immediately depending on the region and the problem.
2. Dermapen can be customized depending on the region
Dermapen can be applied to areas that are difficult for the dermaroller to reach, such as the nose, eye area and upper lip area. Different depths can be achieved in these areas with the same tip.
3. Application of Dermapen leaves less damage to the skin and provides faster healing
Because the needles used in the dermapen enter the skin at a steeper angle, they leave less abrasive damage to the skin compared to the dermaroller.
Thus, the recovery time in dermapen is shorter and the incidence of side effects is lower.
4. Other differences
Dermapen is less painful than dermaroller and takes less time to apply.
Is Dermapen dangerous? Is there any harm from the procedure?
Dermapen is an effective and reliable method of skin rejuvenation. We can say this based both on our observations at the DK Klinik and on various scientific studies.
We recommend that any cosmetic or aesthetic interventions be performed in centers under the supervision of dermatologists or plastic surgeons. Places with beauty salon status can pose a variety of risks to your health.
Various side effects that can occur after dermapen include:
- Swelling on the skin
- Redness of the skin
- Dry skin
- Bruises on the skin
In an insecure location or lack of personal hygiene, you may experience more serious problems, such as infections or skin pigment changes.
On the other hand, Dermapen is a brand. DK Klinik prefers the Dermapen brand, there are some dermapen-mimicking products on the market that have not been scientifically proven to work.
Dermapen should not be used by people with one or more of the following conditions:
- Active acne
- Rosacea (rose disease)
- Solar keratosis
- Herpes or warts
- Some types of moles
People who have serious health problems other than these skin conditions should tell their doctor about it.
What is the process after the procedure?
After the procedure, redness may appear on the skin. The degree of redness varies with the depth of the process. In addition, peeling, that is, the peeling effect can be seen after a few days.
On the second day, the difference in shades of pink or red is still evident. The treated areas may look like a slight sunburn. The swelling may become more pronounced.
On the third day, the redness turns completely pink or disappears. The swelling almost disappears.
What points should be considered after the procedure?
Within 48 hours after the procedure, wash the skin several times with a cleansing foam. Warm water can be used. During this process, it is important that the skin stays clean. Keep your hands clean as your skin is prone to infections.
2. Consultation a dermatologist
After applying dermapen in our clinic you will be given a list of what you need to pay attention to. Find out which products you should use for your skin.
After the procedure, your skin will become dry. Hyaluronic acid is a good solution for maintaining moisture balance in your skin.
- Do not put on makeup for 12 hours after the procedure. If you have a special occasion when you need to apply makeup, consult the doctor who performed the procedure.
- You can continue to use your regular skincare products 3 days after your procedure.
- Avoid using alcohol-based toners for 2 weeks after your procedure.
- Avoid direct sunlight for 2 weeks after the procedure.
- Avoid activities that may cause sweating for 48 hours after the procedure. For example, hot shower or bath, sports, sauna.
You may find some of our before and after results, below;